Warwick Common

Warwick Common

In the early thirteenth century the Townspeople of Warwick were given the right to graze their horses and cattle on the southern part of the present day Common. – Two animals for each house. Until the twentieth century the Commons were the only recreation grounds for the townspeople and were Also used for military training and a variety of sports.

Racing started in Warwick in 1707 and today the central area of unimproved grassland is managed for its wildlife value, where skylarks nest in the summer and the sharp eyed visitor may spot an autumn crocus.